The Import Template Creator is used to Import Data to
Tables from an existing Excel sheet. The Form has an Import button used to select the Excel sheet from a
Template File Textbox path.
It also has a Create option which can be used to update an existing Database with the imported value.
The Templates group box contains a list of Templates from which a user can import data onto the database currently being used in the application. In order to configure this, a browse more button opens a small form where this association can be made.
Click on appropriate rows from the Grid Control present in the bottom half of the form to select the table column and make changes depending upon the data type.
Upon selecting a row from the Grid, the details from the Grid are populated in the appropriate controls in the input area of the form.
The input area controls properties that are categorized into the following:
3) Dates between
5) Additional Controls
1) Numeric : This group box is enabled on Selecting a Row with the datatype Integer or Decimal.
For Integer, initially the group box looks as shown:
While for Decimal it looks as shown:
As can be seen, the Checkbox serves to indicate whether the fields are to restricted only positive entries and the Between Groupbox nested inside the Numeric Groupbox is used to show the range of numbers accepted. An entry of 0 in both To and From serves to indicate that there is no restriction.
The Decimals input field becomes enabled only for the columns of datatype Decimal, which indicates the accepted Decimal places which get stored in the Database.
2) Strings : This group box is enabled when a column of Data Type String is chosen in the grid.
This group box has an entry called Length that is used to check if the strings satisfy a certain maximum length accepted into the target field.
3) Dates Between : This group box is enabled when an entry of Data Type “DateTime” is selected in the grid control.
The two Date inputs inside this group box namely From and To are used to check if the values being imported satisfy to be within the range of dates covered by To and From dates mentioned in the input text boxes
4) Map : This group box is enabled when the Ref Table and Ref Id entries of a row (indicating a mapping to a field from another table) are available.
The ID field indicates the primary field being referenced in the mapping table and the Description field indicates the column which needs to be referred for storing the ID in the current table that is mapped in the mapping table (like a Foreign key relation, but the relation is not enforced in the sense that it can be left empty as well).
1. Not Empty: This value is disabled for entries which are mandatorily required from the user.
Even though this value can be toggled to be off for other types of data, for cases where Default Value is to read, this needs to be mandatorily be checked.
2. Default :
The value entered into the Default Text Box needs to satisfy the condition mandated by the Datatype to which it is set, i.e:
1) For Decimal types, it needs to follow the decimal places set by the user.
2) For Numeric types (including Decimal), if Range constraint is applied by the user by choosing values between Min and Max, the Default Value also needs to be within this value.
3) For String type, the Decimal is supposed to be within the length specified by the user.
4) For Boolean type, the entry needs to be either TRUE or FALSE.
Note : For the Default Value to be applied, please ensure that Not Empty checkbox is checked.
3. Force Mapping:
When the user wishes to Map Pseudo Foreign Key Values, he can do so by clicking this option.
This option Forces the Map Checkbox to be checked. And the associations made by the user is stored into ourKushal Excel Template Fields Table, upon clicking Update Properties button.
4. Force Clear Mapping:
If the user wishes to remove any mapping done to a column, he can do so by selecting that column and clicking on the Force Clear Mapping Checkbox.
The Option is updated only if the user clicks on Update Properties button.
Once this is done, the user can re-map the association using Force Mapping option.
Note : On simply un-checking the option the previous mapping is reverted. But is user clicks on Update Properties, the new association is made persistent. To see the original mapping the user can create a different template where the Database’s original mappings can be used.